Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert

Monday, August 19, 2013

| | |
Summary by Goodreads

In her early thirties, Elizabeth Gilbert had everything a modern American woman was supposed to want--husband, country home, successful career--but instead of feeling happy and fulfilled, she felt consumed by panic and confusion. This wise and rapturous book is the story of how she left behind all these outward marks of success, and of what she found in their place. Following a divorce and a crushing depression, Gilbert set out to examine three different aspects of her nature, set against the backdrop of three different cultures: pleasure in Italy, devotion in India, and on the Indonesian island of Bali, a balance between worldly enjoyment and divine transcendence. 

My Review


The book that inspired me in every possible way! Ms. Gilbert made me wear her shoes as she travel to Italy, India, and Indonesia just by reading her words. It made me want to travel, to eat, to pray, to write, and to find myself as well.


I have watched this movie a long time ago. I got interested in the movie that made me want to read the book. But there's this fear that the book will not be much as interesting as the movie or the other way around. Either ways, I'll get disappointed. That's why it took me years before reading this. So when an opportunity came and someone lent me the book, I started reading. 

It's an easy read actually. For a travel and inspirational book, I did not had a hard time understanding each words. Ms. Gilbert has this way of writing the story in its simplest form, despite of all the complications. 

I guess the only hard part for me here is the "eat: part. I'm not that much familiar with the foods but I always loved Italy so I don't mind it at all. It's like I've been travelling with Ms. Gilbert all throughout the book. It's like I'm the one experiencing it and not her. And at some point, there are words that I'll read that would reach to the deepest of my heart. I started feeling that each words she's telling in this book are somehow made just for me.

It's a perfect book. It's like my soul was cleansed and I became mature a little after reading the book. I've learned lots of things just by reading this one. And as a frustrated traveler, I know that what we could experience as we travel is something that we could keep for the rest of our lives.

0 comments:

Post a Comment