Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

Saturday, February 9, 2013

| | |
Summary from Goodreads



Juliette hasn't touched anyone in exactly 264 days.

The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette’s touch is fatal. As long as she doesn't hurt anyone else, no one really cares. The world is too busy crumbling to pieces to pay attention to a 17-year-old girl. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don’t fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong color.
The Reestablishment said their way was the only way to fix things, so they threw Juliette in a cell. Now so many people are dead that the survivors are whispering war– and The Reestablishment has changed its mind. Maybe Juliette is more than a tortured soul stuffed into a poisonous body. Maybe she’s exactly what they need right now.
Juliette has to make a choice: Be a weapon. Or be a warrior. http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10429045-shatter-me




My Review

This book always has the pull on me. Ever since I saw its cover, I know I have to read it. But a lot of things came in my way.  An ebook bug, and my super busy schedule that I can't get into the book store to buy it. So when finally I had my chance, I just grabbed it and went straight to pay  for it. And boy! Did I regret every missed chances I had on reading this. Why did I just read it just now?! I'm putting this on my shelves along with Delirium series and Divergent Series. I'm starting to become a fan of dystopian books. They don't fail in entertaining me. I could list loads of books that I love, but this is "Shatter Me's" moment.

Praise to Ms. Tahere Mafi for writing such an amazing story. Full of emotions, heart stopping, mind blowing and addictive. I literally can't put the book down once I started opening the book. This books takes you away in the real world and be captivated to Juliette's world. All her emotions are so real and contagious. I could feel the fear and paranoia myself. Her guilt on what her "disease" can do breaks my heart for her. While reading, you could feel how broken she is and I just want to comfort her myself. I enjoyed how the story was written-- in Juliette's POV like she's writing in her notebook, and those scratched out lines that makes you give a better perspective on the confusion, denial and fear of Juliette.

I'm a bit confuse with the days though. She said she's been in the prison cell for 200 plus days, then she said she was taken when she was 7 years old, then there's the murder when she was 14 year old. I don't know if I'm not just paying that much attention, but I got really confused on this. I wanted to retrace everything, but I'm too anxious to know what happened next that I can't afford to do it! haha

I'm so happy that there's Adam. (I can't tell much about him without giving some spoilers so I'm really sorry) Adam is not that too swoony like other famous male lead (but I'm not saying he isn't as well!) but you could just feel how perfect he is for Juliette. Ms. Mafi has a natural way of putting words together that everytime there's Adam, it's like I'm seeing him myself -- his grin, his posture and protectiveness towards Juliette. A girl that faced so much suffering deserves a man that would make her feel the way Adam does to her. the girl deserves a break you know! 

A lot of interesting characters as well. It gives room to explore a lot of other things other than focus everything on Juliette and Adam. It kept the boredom away (not that it's boring!). Warner is one of those character. Yup, he's the bad guy. But there's something in him that keeps me from hating him that much. I think Juliette is also seeing that but denying it. Kenji is also one, I just feel there's a bigger role he's going to play in the next book. And there's James whom I instantly fell in love with. He's such adorable, I want to have a younger brother just like him.

I have still some questions, but I know I've just read the beginning of it. I could fell the bigger picture; the greater story that;s lingering behind this book. Oh boy! I'm on my second book now, just stopped for awhile to make this review. Got to go now! Fast!

0 comments:

Post a Comment