Embrace (Violet Eden Chapters #1) by Jessica Shirvington

Monday, July 30, 2012

| | |
Summary from Goodreads:

It starts with a whisper: “It’s time for you to know who you are…”


Violet Eden dreads her seventeenth birthday. After all, it’s hard to get too excited about the day that marks the anniversary of your mother’s death. As if that wasn’t enough, disturbing dreams haunt her sleep and leave her with very real injuries. There’s a dark tattoo weaving its way up her arms that wasn’t there before. 


Violet is determined to get some answers, but nothing could have prepared her for the truth. The guy she thought she could fall in love with has been keeping his identity a secret: he’s only half-human—oh, and same goes for her.


A centuries-old battle between fallen angels and the protectors of humanity has chosen its new warrior. It’s a fight Violet doesn’t want, but she lives her life by two rules: don’t run and don’t quit. When angels seek vengeance and humans are the warriors, you could do a lot worse than betting on Violet Eden…


My Review:

I think this book started awkwardly... At the start, I have to stop and check it on goodreads again to make sure I'm reading the first book. The story started which feels like the reader is expected to know what's going on. Good thing there are lots of explanations afterwards. Though The story is so cliche (nice girl with a kicking bestfriend finds out she's part supernatural -Awry is something like this and most of others stories), I really find this book interesting. It's so plottable but in a nice way, the story seems familiar yet it's so refreshing to read. Maybe because the story is so full of details regarding the angels and Lilith. I find myself enjoying and surprised that I'm already halfway through, but it feels like I just started reading. The story is like a very very long introduction of a story. So I'm having high expectation on the next book :)

What I love about this book is that the story didn't hurry. I mean, the story flowed naturally. The story-telling is consistent. Minor Details provided on certain part are connected on major details on other part, though plottable, it makes the story more interesting. 

For the characters, I don't know if I love Violet or not. Though Phoenix had majorly contributed on her actions, there's part of me that feels there's more to this story that needs to be revealed. And of course, I love Lincoln!!!

With regards to the writing, I couldn't find fault. The story was well-thought of and Ms. Shirvington has proven her talents on creating a very interesting story from the famous angel and Lilith stories.

0 comments:

Post a Comment