Froi of the Exiles by Melina Marchetta

Friday, July 13, 2012

| | |
Summary from Goodreads:


Blood sings to blood, Froi . . .
Those born last will make the first . . .
For Charyn will be barren no more.
 


Three years after the curse on Lumatere was lifted, Froi has found his home... Or so he believes...

Fiercely loyal to the Queen and Finnikin, Froi has been trained roughly and lovingly by the Guard sworn to protect the royal family, and has learned to control his quick temper. But when he is sent on a secretive mission to the kingdom of Charyn, nothing could have prepared him for what he finds. Here he encounters a damaged people who are not who they seem, and must unravel both the dark bonds of kinship and the mysteries of a half-mad Princess.

And in this barren and mysterious place, he will discover that there is a song sleeping in his blood, and though Froi would rather not, the time has come to listen.

Gripping and intense, complex and richly imagined, Froi of the Exiles is a dazzling sequel to Finnikin of the Rock, from the internationally best-selling and multi-award-winning author of Looking for Alibrandi,Saving FrancescaOn the Jellicoe Road and The Piper's Son
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10165727-froi-of-the-exiles

My Review


It's nice to know Froi deeper. I like his loyalty to Isaboe and his friendship to the guards, finally, he found home...or not.
When he was sent to Charyn to be an assassin for the king, Charyn calls for him. No matter how he denies it, no matter how he convince himself that Lumatere is his home, there is something in Charyn and the people he meets that sings to him.
Like Froi, I am loyal to Isaboe, so everytime Froi thinks of just going home, I was like "yes, just go home! just leave Charyn!" I badly like Froi to be just a Lumatere, a loyal servant to the Queen and his consort, but Froi is greater than that, so I let it go :D

Then there's Quintana, at first I don't like her, especially for Froi ( I just want Froi to be loyal to Isaboe :D) but as the story goes, things are revealed why she is who she is and not just a crazy last born. 

What saddens me in this story, is that even after the curse in Lumatere, people just can't move on. The became prisoners of their past. And Charynites and Lumaterian had this hatred in each other that so deep. Well, I understand them for it. But as the story goes, Charynites sides are seen, how is it to them during the years Lumatere was invaded by their kingdom and how themselves suffer from another curse. A story how families were torn, brothers separated by lies and mothers and daughters suffer from the curse. Though I prefer Finnikin of the rock, this book was beyond deeper than the first book. This book, tells most of the mysteries. I find myself relieved and frustrated on every mystery unravels as knew mystery comes. I find myself confused for all the lies. This book put me in a roller coaster. But one thing is for sure, this book is one of a kind. The way this story was told was unlike anything else I have read and I salute Ms. Marchetta for that.

I just wished there's a book dedicated for Isaboe as the third for Quintana.




0 comments:

Post a Comment