Starcrossed (Starcrossed #1) by Josephine Angelini

Monday, July 30, 2012

| | |
Summary from Goodreads:

Set on the island of Nantucket, STARCROSSED tells the tale of Helen Hamilton, a young woman whose destiny is forever altered when she meets Lucas Delos and tries to kill him in front of her entire high school. Which is terribly inconvenient, not only because Lucas is the most beautiful boy on the island, but also because Helen is so achingly shy she suffers physical pain whenever she is given too much attention. 

Making matters worse, Helen is beginning to suspect she’s going crazy. Whenever she’s near Lucas or any member of his family she sees the ghostly apparitions of three women weeping bloody tears, and suffers the burden of an intense and irrational hate. She soon learns that she and Lucas are destined to play the leading roles in a Greek tragedy that the Three Fates insist on repeating over and over again throughout history. Like her namesake, Helen of Troy, she’s destined to start a war by falling in love. But even though Lucas and Helen can see their own star-crossed destiny, they’re still powerfully attracted to each other. Will they give up their personal happiness for the greater good, or risk it all to be together?



My Review:



This is a very different love story inspired by the famous mythology's Helen of Troy. Instead of love at first sight, the story started with "hate at first sight" and when I say hate, literally hate. The instant Helen saw the new student Lucas, there's only one thing she's sure of... she needs to kill him. She doesn't understand why she feels this way over Lucas and his family, and why everytime she sees any of his family, 3 crying women who seems like ghosts appears. the worse part is, the more she tries to avoid the Delos Family, the more it seems fate wants them to bump into each other.

Then something good happen..or not. The ghosts aka furies disappeared along with the hatred Helen and Lucas feel for each other and attraction blossoms. But as they are just about to realize that they are falling for each other, they found out they can't be together or a war, same as the Trojan War might happen again. As the story of Helen of Troy and Paris will repeat itself on Helen and Lucas other things will go their way to hinder their love for each other.

A very tragic love story and there's not even a love triangle! At first Hector would enter as third party. But not. I love all the characters, starting from Jerry, Kate, Helen's friends and the Delos family. It feels like all characters reach me in some way. It's nice since the story does not solely focus on Helen and Lucas but to others as well. It makes the story not boring. But I always love the part where Helen and Lucas are together, if this is a movie, I'll say they have the perfect chemistry. Both characters are really cute and so adorable when they are together, even when they are trying to kill each other at the start.

I love the mysteries in the story. Helen's dreams, her necklace, her mother, which house does she belongs too, her power, the enemy, Cassandra herself is a mystery even the title "stacrossed" is intriguing. All this makes me don't want to stop reading but it does not makes me feel frustrated with lots of mysteries. I loved it more when the revelation part came, it did not came all in one revelation. They were reavealed not on fast-paced (others have this when the story is about to end) abut not too slow either. All revelations came naturally and not forced.

I totally love this book! Everytime I read a book, I have this tendency of guessing/plotting what would come next, how it would end and how certain parts would be connected on the next part. I usually guesses right that's why I sometimes say that books are plottable. But with this book, I never even had the chance to guess. I was totally blank while reading this. Which I love since I don't even tred guessing, and just enjoying what Ms. Angelini will give me and she's very good at surprising me. Congrats to the author for writng such a lovely book. I'm currently reading Dreamless as per this writing. :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment