The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson

Friday, July 13, 2012

| | |
Summary from Goodreads

Elisa is the chosen one. 

But she is also the younger of two princesses, the one who has never done anything remarkable. She can't see how she ever will. 

Now, on her sixteenth birthday, she has become the secret wife of a handsome and worldly king—a king whose country is in turmoil. A king who needs the chosen one, not a failure of a princess.

And he's not the only one who seeks her. Savage enemies seething with dark magic are hunting her. A daring, determined revolutionary thinks she could be his people's savior. And he looks at her in a way that no man has ever looked at her before. Soon it is not just her life, but her very heart that is at stake.

Elisa could be everything to those who need her most. If the prophecy is fulfilled. If she finds the power deep within herself. If she doesn’t die young.

Most of the chosen do. 
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10429092-the-girl-of-fire-and-thorns

My Review


"The champion must not fear, the champion must not waver"

Elisa is the bearer of the Godstone. And as the bearer, a lot is expected from her. The bearer is the champion, chosen by God himself to be His right hand and whose life's mission is to serve. Greatness is expected from the bearer. But Elisa does not feel this at all, for she does not possess anything of greatness or anything that could make her standout. This is what Elisa believes all her life. 
Then he was married to King Alejandro, where her status as his wife is hidden in his husband's kingdom. Elisa felt more assured of what she feels, she has nothing to offer as the bearer. But when group of teens (the same age as hers) kidnapped her and brought her to their village, she bit by bit realizes her purpose. In this village, everyone sees her as their hope, though she still fears that she could offer nothing, her character and wit shows otherwise.

I did not expect too much from this book and I was so wrong! Though I find the first part to be slow-paced, everything became exciting when she was kidnapped. I'm not really into books covering wars, so it surprised me to find this book entertaining, especially Elisa's plans. Her plans in war are really good, so I find myself imagining hitting her in the head into thinking she has nothing to offer the people in the village. How could she think such when she is even better than King Alejandro in terms of war. Additionally, Elisa is a princess and the bearer of the godstone, but she's not spoiled. That's for sure! I really like her character because she embodies a very real person. She loves her servants, knows how to fight, thinks well even under pressure. That makes her more deserving to be the champion. So how could she question her worth?? 

For Elisa's love, throughout the story, I could not plot who's really the author's plan to be her love. I find myself guessing between Alejandro, Hector and Humberto. On some parts I think it would be the King, on other it's Hector and when I have forgotten about the two and am sure it would be Humberto, a change of events made me gasps! (I'm going to refrain myself from putting spoilers here!)

This book is well-written (applause for Rae Carson), I felt love, frustration, excitement, braveness, sadness, surprised and even had goosebumps all throughout the story. I felt for what's Elisa's going through. But the best thing I love about this book is that it does not only tells a story. It expresses a great message that NO ONE, and I mean NO ONE should think of themselves less. That for everyone, there is greatness inside each of us and all we need is the courage to show it. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment