The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

Saturday, September 22, 2012

| | |
Summary


The story was built from Charlie's writings to his diary friend as he tells the story of his life, his thoughts and everything he could write.



From a regular family, a sweet mother, a father that promised never to hit anybody, a brother famous in his sports and a genius sister, Charlie faces his life as he goes to high school. Here he meets Sam and Patrick. Sam and Patrick adores him, loves his innocence and made Charlie feel alive and belonged.



My Review



Curiosity got me reading this book. How great could this book be for it to be turned into a movie? So I was quite disappointed that I didn't enjoyed it as I was hoping I would. Actually, I was not disappointed in the book, I was disappointed to myself for not enjoying it. At faults I see, I notice myself justifying the fault, defending the book against myself. Really! The story was uniquely written and no doubt is very deep. But  I find myself bored in reading it. Charlie is a very nice person, but I guess too fictional. Can anyone still find someone as innocent as him at the age of 15? I highly doubt that. He thinks too deep,  a very intelligent person and loves reading books...But then, with Charlie's character, it just seems right that he is innocent. Contradicting right? Page after page, I imagine how this would end up in a movie? Charlie is in a brink of depression, and I can't exactly relate with him? Nothing much exciting there right? I know it's a good book, but in most part, I just find it flat. OK, here's a boy with an amazing intelligence, understanding and a very unique character. But there's no excitement in his life. He's being swallowed by all the big people around him and he lets them. Well, he's a wallflower fine. I find myself searching deep inside me to find someone I know of that I could compare to him just so that I could feel a connection, something I could relate into.I have friends with different personality but none of them comes close to Charlie. I have met a few Sams and Patricks but never a Charlie. Maybe that's why I can't relate too his sentiments too much. Though I find some of her quotes deep, something I want to post in my facebook wall or in twitter it didn't reached me that much. 

I couldn't understand the way Charlie handles things. He just accept everything without question. I do not see any identity in him. Is that what being a wallflower means? He's desperate to belong and be accepted. Most of the people around him admires him for being what he is. But deep inside, Charlie is blank. In my opinion, the only person who treats him differently is Bill. Bill sees his potential and treats him as a mature person, but still, he encourages him to enjoy his high school life as a young person. Sam and Patrick makes that possible, but I think, they didn't help that much except at the last part. His family are no different, I felt like Charlie was being neglected because of the big things surrounding his family. It seems like the family have forgotten or thought how Charlie is doing that in the end, everything just exploded. 

This is an intelligent book, maybe too intelligent for me. I have to pause a few times to feel the depth of the book. I need to think it through because I could not relate to it and I'm trying my best to understand. Yes, it felt me frustrated at myself. I guess Charlie is too much intelligent for me.haha

0 comments:

Post a Comment