Collision Course by S.C. Stephens

Friday, August 17, 2012

| | |
Summary:

Lucas West was the one driving when the car crashed. Darren, Lucas' betfriend died. Sammy, Darren's girfriend died. And Lillian... Lucas' girlfriend died. All of them in the car died, except for Lucas. Lucas survived. Lucas remembered all that happened, because opposite of what others assume... Lucas was not drunk. 

Everyone blames him for what happened as well as himself. Spending her last year in Sherridan high, he was bullied and rumored with evetything that's worse by the student body and even the teachers. Good thing she met Sawyer. Sawyer believes her when he said he was not drunk that night. She never questioned him and without saying so, he knows that Sawyer understands him. She became dependent of Sawyer in his everyday, becoming his comfort and home.


My Review:

This is without doubt a very serious story. Not just simple a romantic YA-book, but subtly tackles different aspects of survival, moving on and high school life. It tells a story of true friendship and love, but also tells story of bullies and rumors in school. 

At first, I'm really annoyed with how everyone treated Lucas as a criminal. I just can't believe that everyone blames him even the teachers. Noone stood up for him except Sawyer, and that is just so..aarrggh! 
I don't blame Josh for feeling the way he feels, I guess it's his right as Darren's brother. But of course I'm not justifying anything he did against Lucas, but I sympathized for him. What annoyed the hell out of me is Will's attitude. Firstly, he's not even family. Second, not even part of the tight circle of Lucas before... so what is his problem?! Envy? duh!!! He's an immature bully! not that there are mature bullies, but I feel the need to reiterate! Trying to trip Lucas all the time is so grade school! I don't want to go discussing Mr. Varner.... >:(

As the story goes, it made sense why everyone is the way they were...it's because it's Lucas' POV and we're only seeing what he believes he sees. Then a part of me thinks that Lucas' is kind of selfish. He's getting drowned to his guilt, self hatred and past that he forgot everyone around him. His mom and Sawyer did everything to help him, but he doesn't let them in. Even his denial that he remembers what happened seems like kind of selfishness for me. Of course this is just what I feel while reading this, but maybe it's because I could no relate with Lucas on his griefs. I never had the experience of losing a friend in a crash or just passed away, and I want it to stay that way.

What confuses me is the appearances of Darren, Sammy and Lillian in Lucas' dreams. Is it superficial thing or just all in Lucas' head as he claims? Then I remember a conversation of Harry and Dumbledore in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, this was when Harry met Dumbledore in the King's Cross station after Voldemort "killed" him: 

Harry: "Is this real or is it all in my head?" 
Dumbledore: "Of course it's all in your head, Harry, but what makes you think it's not real?"

So... I'll leave it at that. ;)

I like the dreams, because I know it somehow helps Lucas survive. Though it made him harder to let go, with all the things that's happening when he's awake...he deserves it. BUT... the Lillian hot scenes??? I think these are just unnecessary in the story... to dream of your dead-girlfirend to make out with her is... I'm hearing the word pervert... hahaha Good thing it was justifiend in the end, though I still believe the scenes are unnecessay... it was justified so I'll let that go too. :)

I totally love Sawyer! She's tough but still a girl. She gave everything back to Lucas, love, understanding, support, patience and most of all her silence by not asking and saying too much and it's just right for Lucas to be grateful!

The story all in all is good. It's a good thing that it tackles real teen problems and all, specially the I-dont-want-to-live-anymore issue and showing a better side of everything. :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment